Still Cant Get Pushpins to Show

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM

First off, very nice program.  The Silverlight app is very quick.

I am running this on a clean install of Sharepoint 2010 foundation.  I still can not get the pushpins to show up on the sharepoint web page.  It looks like it is passing data as when I link the SMIL.Coordinate item to a calendar or contact, etc, it will show that list in SMIL Layers panel.  If I am in the item itself to set the geocode location, a pushpin will appear but only on the item itself.

I have copied the images to both these locations and insured swecopushpin.png is in both.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\images

Is there anything at all I could be missing?  Thank you very much for your time.  Tim

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 6:24 AM
Hi, You can install Fiddler and see the requests from your client to confirm the location of the pushpin. Per

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 8/10/2010 1:53:33 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Still Cant Get Pushpins to Show [smil:223053]

First off, very nice program. The Silverlight app is very quick.

I am running this on a clean install of Sharepoint 2010 foundation. I still can not get the pushpins to show up on the sharepoint web page. It looks like it is passing data as when I link the SMIL.Coordinate item to a calendar or contact, etc, it will show that list in SMIL Layers panel. If I am in the item itself to set the geocode location, a pushpin will appear but only on the item itself.

I have copied the images to both these locations and insured swecopushpin.png is in both.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\images

Is there anything at all I could be missing? Thank you very much for your time. Tim

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM
Edited Aug 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM

hi Perf,

I ran Fiddler and I am not seeing any requests for the pushpin gif file.  I am seeing the call for "/_layouts/SPGeoRss.asmx" but that is it.  I can email you the fiddler saz file if you like.  Any ideas?  Thank you for the quick response.  Tim

Ahhh, maybe this is it, I am also getting internal error reponses for the SMIL silverlight.js

GET http://server/testing/~/_controltemplates/SMIL/Silverlight.js
500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR ()

GET http://server/testing/~/_controltemplates/SMIL/SpSilverlight.js
401 Unauthorized ()

GET http://server/testing/~/_controltemplates/SMIL/SpSilverlight.js
500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR ()

Update:

I changed authentication and now I am not getting the 401 error but still geting the 500 error on the silverlight and spsilverlight js files.  Tim

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 6:28 AM
It should've be a .png file. Per

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 8/11/2010 3:08:03 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Still Cant Get Pushpins to Show [smil:223053]

hi Perf,

I ran Fiddler and I am not seeing any requests for the pushpin gif file. I am seeing the call for "/_layouts/SPGeoRss.asmx" but that is it. I can email you the fiddler saz file if you like. Any ideas? Thank you for the quick response. Tim

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Sorry, that is what I meant, png file.  It is not calling it.  Tim

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Hi Ibanezrg770 and Perf.

Where you ever able to resolve this issue? I've installed this solution on a SharePoint 2010 server. Everything works OK, except the pushpin icon on the Webpart doesn't show. This pushpin is shown on the map used by the custom FieldType (when editing a list using the SMIL.Coordinate field). Please let me know if there's a solution available to fix or workaround this issue. If not, I'll download the sourcecode (instead of installation files) and try to debug this one with Visual Studio (instead of Fiddler2).

With regards,

Bastiaan

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Hi Bastiaan,

Unfortunately I was never able to get them to show. My symptom was the same as yours, they would show on the map for when entering the contacts coordinates but never on the map inside the web part.

Unfortunately I am not a programmer so I could not debug the source. If you are able to fix, please let me know. It is a great addition to Sharepoint if it works. Tim

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:33 AM
To: ibanezrg770@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Still Cant Get Pushpins to Show [smil:223053]

Hi Ibanezrg770 and Perf.

Where you ever able to resolve this issue? I've installed this solution on a SharePoint 2010 server. Everything works OK, except the pushpin icon on the Webpart doesn't show. This pushpin is shown on the map used by the custom FieldType (when editing a list using the SMIL.Coordinate field). Please let me know if there's a solution available to fix or workaround this issue. If not, I'll download the sourcecode (instead of installation files) and try to debug this one with Visual Studio (instead of Fiddler2).

With regards,

Bastiaan

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Ibanezrg770 wrote:

Hi Bastiaan,

Unfortunately I was never able to get them to show. My symptom was the same as yours, they would show on the map for when entering the contacts coordinates but never on the map inside the web part.

Unfortunately I am not a programmer so I could not debug the source. If you are able to fix, please let me know. It is a great addition to Sharepoint if it works. Tim 

Hi Tim. I was able to reproduce your 401 and 500 servers errors in Fiddler2.

I was able to solve these HTTP errors, and to get the pushpins working on the SMIL.Client.Webpart.

To solve the issue you described (about the 401 Unauthorized and 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR) follow these steps.

1. Download source of SMIL project

2. Open solution with Visual Studio

3. Edit SMIL.Client.webpart.cs file

4. Find and replace this : "~/_controltemplates/SMIL/" with "/_controltemplates/SMIL/"

4a. This is causing the issue with the 401 and 500 errors. In my scenario the SMIL source didn't take into account I was using a Publishing Portal containing a Pages library. Because the page containing the SMIL.Client.Webpart was located in the Pages library, referencing to the "~/Pages/_controltemplates" silverlight.js files resulted in 401 and 500 errors. Appearantly this "controltemplates" (virtual) folder can only be accessed by the root SharePoint site, and not from a subsite or document library. So remove the "~" part. (line 45, 48 and 72).

5. Once the source is updated and saved, build (a release version of) the project.

6. Go to the bin/release folder, and make sure the "SMIL.Client.WP.dll" is updated (last modfied date should be today)

7. Copy the dll to your SharePoint server.

8. Log in to the server and open command prompt (cmd) in Administrator mode.

9. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools

10. Execute the following command to update the new DLL to the GAC (C:\Windows\Assembly).

gacutil /i "[path to dll]\SMIL.Client.WP.dll"

11. Give an "iisreset"

12. Check with Fiddler2 if 401 and 500 errors are solved.

This still did not solve the missing pushpin issue. The solution to that was quite simple.

1a. Go to the library where your (list)item containing is located. I name this library: "Project Locations"

1b. Edit the default view of the list and add the GEO location field, of type SMIL.Coordinate

1c. Make sure the actual (list)item contains a value in the GEO location field.

2a. Edit the page that contains the SMIL.Client.Webpart and add a default List View Webpart based on my "Project Locations" list.

2b. Connect the SMIL.Client.Webpart to the List View Webpart.

2c. Set the "Consumer field name" connection property to your GEO location field in the "Project Locations" list.

2d. Save (and publish!) page

3. Now pushpins should be visible. Or in my case it showed a SharePoint List icon. But I am sure you can update that picture in the "_images" folder.

Let me know if things work out. Hopefully the owner of this CodePlex project can comment on this issue.

Regards,

Bastiaan

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Yeah sure: Bastiaan great you're helping Tim out on this. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the problem although many installations in several organisations. It would be very helpful to know more about the environment.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM

BaskB,

Thanks so much for your help!  I found that adding the geolocation field into the default views of each list that needed them worked.  I was able to get icons for the contacts, tasks and calendars working.  Mine shows like yours with the default Sharepoint icons.  I wish I could switch them to pushpins without overwriting the image files.  The default icons block the locations more than I want.  Any way I could get you to upload the dll file for me?  I am not much of a visual studio person.

perf,

Thanks so much for this awesome app.  My environment is Windows 2008 x64 with Sharepoint 2010 Standard (previsoulsy tested on Foundation).  Please let me know if I can help with any other information.  Tim

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Edited Aug 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Perf.

I was able to reproduce the issue on a MS SharePoint Server 2010 RTM (enterprise) environment. I've also tested the issue on SP2010 with SP1 (including June CU) and this resulted in the same behaviour.

Ibanezrg770, I've send you a private message regarding the updated DLL.

It was quite easy to replace the code in the SMIL Webpart so the pushpin is always shown (instead of default SharePoint icons). For people who do not trust updating DLL's from strangers directly into your GAC: go to SMIL.Server.SPGeoRssCore project and open SPGeoRssCode.cs file. Goto line 92 and replace the reference to the GenericList icon with the Pushpin png icon.

Regards,

Bastiaan